Orlando Adult Guardianship & Conservatorship Attorney
When someone gets sick or injured, goes into a coma, or otherwise loses their mental capacity to make informed decisions, they may greatly benefit from a guardianship. A guardian is usually a family member or trusted friend of the individual who will take over legal decision-making. These decisions pertain to the person’s financial affairs, medical care, and everyday living arrangements. Becoming a guardian is a complex legal process, and one that needs to be handled by an experienced Orlando guardianship attorney. The attorneys at Sperling Ducker PLC routinely assist clients with all of the following:
- Establishing adult guardianships;
- Fighting the establishment of an adult guardianship; and
- Contesting adult guardian’s decisions regarding the ward.
The National Center for State Courts describes an adult guardianship as a “last resort” because of the substantial loss of individual rights that a guardianship involves. We strongly encourage you to seek legal help if you wish to set up an adult guardianship, because the process certainly is as complex as it is daunting. With so much at stake, an attorney will be invaluable, and our lawyers always pursue our clients’ goals to the fullest and believe in a straightforward approach with consistent communication throughout.
Legal Assistance for Various Types of Guardian Cases
It is important to choose the appropriate type of guardianship for your specific situation, and to work with an attorney who has a broad range of knowledge regarding adult guardianships and conservatorships. Our law offices are experienced with all of the following types of cases:
- Guardianships and Conservatorships — Whether the adult is suffering from dementia, Alzheimer’s or another mental disorder, or they are in a coma or are otherwise unable to make decisions for themselves, a guardianship or conservatorship is necessary.
- Guardian Advocates — A guardian advocate may be necessary for someone with a developmental disorder to help them with day to day objectives and a variety of tasks.
- Guardian Ad Litem — A guardian ad litem gives a child in a custody or court case a voice to be heard.
Treating Clients with the Compassion and Respect that they Deserve
Throughout our many years of experience, we have come to understand the pressure and difficulties that families and individuals go through during a guardianship case. It is rarely easy for one to give up his or her rights regarding finances or health care, and emotions sometimes get heated in the process.
Contact Us for Help
There are many reasons to pursue an adult guardianship. Elder financial abuse affects millions every year, and, according to AARP, most abusers are not strangers. With recent advancements in medical care, and the ever-changing landscape of health insurance, medical decisions may be too complex for some older or disabled adults to comprehend. Whatever the reason may be, it is important to first discuss your options with an experienced Orlando adult guardianship and conservatorship attorney with Sperling Ducker PLC today.