Orlando Family Attorney
Orlando Divorce 407.645.3297
Orlando Family & Divorce Attorney > Guardian Advocacy Attorney | Orlando

Guardian Advocacy Attorney | Orlando

How is a guardianship proceeding initiated?

If a guardianship petition is filed, who has to know about it?

My parents live with me. Can they use their money to help pay for some of the expenses?

Throughout our many years of legal service in Orlando, we have grown to understand just how time-consuming, complicated, and emotionally difficult it is to care for a child or adult child with a mental disability or other disability. The care that parents and other family members must provide in order to take care of their disabled loved one range from help with personal hygiene, taking them to appointments to providing education, trips to the toilet, and much more. With all of these necessary duties, it is all too common for parents to run out of energy and hours in the day to tackle legal matters surrounding their child or adult child. Because of this, finding a suitable guardian for your child may become difficult, which is where an Orlando guardian advocacy attorney steps in.

Locating a Guardian for Your Loved One

There are circumstances where a developmental disability prevents an adult from managing some, but not all, of their own care or property. In these cases a Florida circuit court can appoint a guardian advocate. According to Florida Statute 393.12, a determination of an individual’s incapacity must be performed in order for the court to deem a person incapacitated, and for a guardian to take over many of the individual’s legal decision making. Qualifying conditions may include autism or intellectual disabilities that make the individual incapable of not only providing for themselves, but incapable of rational and responsible decision making regarding their medical care, financial affairs, and even their day-to-day lives.

The Assistance of an Attorney Allows You to Focus on Your Family

Parents of children with serious developmental disabilities go through wide ranges of emotions on a day to day and weekly basis, including feelings of despair, fear, jealousy of other ‘normal’ families, fatigue, and being in it alone. You are not alone. Our attorneys are here to help you locate a guardian who will be able to take many of the financial and medical decisions off of your plate. Our attorney also provides assistance in the form of financial planning for people with special needs. After all, the cost of caring for an autistic child is $2.5 million of their lifetime, according to Time. Our attorneys can provide assistance by setting up a special needs trust, qualifying for disability and Social Security Supplemental Income, and by helping you afford a high-level of education.

Call an Orlando Guardian Advocacy Attorney Today

Our law offices offer services ranging from helping our clients find suitable guardians to securing disability and Social Security benefits. Raising and taking care of a child or adult child with disabilities is a monumental task, and it is often best to leave certain matters in the hands of experienced professionals. Contact Sperling Ducker PLC today to set up an appointment.

Struggling with child custody or a divorce? Need assistance with child support? If you are seeking legal representation contact Sperling Ducker PLC, Attorneys and Counselors at Law. Call us at 407-645-3297 or send us a send us a message. Visit our Winter Park and Orlando office. Sperling Ducker serves Altamonte Springs, Longwood, Maitland, Orlando, Oviedo, Winter Garden, Winter Park and Winter Springs and surrounding areas.

Share This Page:
Sperling Ducker serves Altamonte Springs, Apopka, Kissimmee, Lake Mary, Longwood, Maitland, Ocoee, Orlando, Oviedo, Sanford, St Cloud, Windermere, Winter Garden, Winter Park and Winter Springs as well as Orange County, Osceola County and Seminole County, Florida.
Sperling Ducker PLC
2020 Crosby Way
Winter Park, FL 32792
200 E. Robinson St.
Suite #1500
Orlando, FL 32801
P: 407.645.3297 F: 407.645.3298